Tuesday, December 12, 2006

artists are people, too


So why are they so hard to reach? Since I anticipate having a couple hundred postcards left after the gallery portion of this project is de-installed tomorrow, I thought I'd extend my mailing list (initially focused on family, friends, and a small handful of art world associates outside the Boston area) to artists. Artists I admire, artists I find annoying but irresistable, artists I could get a hold of one way or another. That proved to be a difficult task. Artists used to rent post office boxes, but now it's all e-mail, if even that. And I not only have no desire to contact an artist via his or her gallery, but I'm quite sure that would be much less successful than trying to reach them directly. My postcard will likely end up in the trash anyway, but I think it's a smidge less likely if I cut out the middle man (or woman). The only artist I could think of, who has a website and - bonus - a p.o. box is Miranda July. I felt nervous just sending it out, as if I was going to meet her in person. Strange how celebrity works.

No comments: