Thursday, November 16, 2006

installation

One week has passed since my inaugural post. Fifteen images from summer travels were cropped and CMYK color separations were printed onto acetate and burned onto one and eventually a second, reclaimed screen, allowing me to work much quicker in the last two or three days of printing. 50 sheets of Aquaprint paper were trimmed, registration holes punched, ink mixed, and much emulsion used. I made 300 prints in eight days, getting a great upper body workout and more mysterious aches and pains in my lower back, hips, and feet. Installation of the print portion of this project started yesterday. Following is documentation of the process, front the print to the gallery.

This is what 300 CMYK color separation screenprints look like wrapped as daily bundles in brown kraft paper. Some days were more productive than others.


Using crop marks as guides, I trimmed each print to 6 by 8 inches.


This is what 300 CMYK color separation screenprints look like trimmed and stacked.


I painted eight 1/2 by 24 by 48 inch wooden panels from Home Depot using Behr flat enamel in "Hidden Peak".


On Wednesday afternoon, I began installing an edited version of the print project, using only 165 images in a grid eleven across and fifteen down. Each row of prints was assembled like an accordion book the night before.


Installation continues in the Mission Hill building's gallery. In the background fellow Intermediate/Advance Screeprinting student Maria Miklowski pumps air into the balloons that fill her printed fabric piece titled everything that rises must deflate.


Nearing completion. Passersby respond to the work in progress, preferring the subtle peaks that result from the rows shifting as I move the panels underneath to what I describe as a flatter, finished piece.


Mostly finished. Some tweaking of lights and fussing with prints happened after the documentation subsided.


Post tweaking and fussing photos to be posted very soon.

The show is now officially open. Shipping from San Francisco-based Rocket Postcards is taking a little longer than desired, but I should have the professionally printed postcards by Friday. If you'd like me to send you one or a packet of several, send me an e-mail or write me a letter (contact information can be found in the sidebar).

No comments: